Check out the other video blogs here: Pastor's Video Blog
Is Church on Sunday Biblical?
I. Seventh-day Adventists and other Sabbatarians make much of keeping the Sabbath and worshiping God in Saturday.
II. Their belief is based on the Sabbath law given to Israel.
1. Psa 147:19 - He sheweth his word unto Jacob, his statutes and his judgments unto Israel.
2. Psa 147:20 - He hath not dealt so with any nation: and as for his judgments, they have not known them. Praise ye the LORD.
3. Exo 31:13 - Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.
4. Exo 31:14 - Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
5. Exo 31:15 - Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
6. Exo 31:16 - Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
7. Exo 31:17 - It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.
III. The first mention of a command to keep the Sabbath law was given to Israel, not any other nation.
1. Exo 16:23 - And he said unto them, This is that which the LORD hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning.
2. Exo 16:25 - And Moses said, Eat that to day; for to day is a sabbath unto the LORD: to day ye shall not find it in the field.
3. Exo 16:26 - Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none.
4. Exo 16:29 - See, for that the LORD hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.
IV. The law of Moses, including the ten commandments written on stone (c/w Exo 34:29-35), was abolished by Jesus Christ's work on the cross.
1. 2Co 3:6 - Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
2. 2Co 3:7 - But if the ministration of death, WRITTEN AND ENGRAVEN IN STONES, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
3. 2Co 3:8 - How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
4. 2Co 3:9 - For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
5. 2Co 3:10 - For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
6. 2Co 3:11 - For if that which IS DONE AWAY was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.
7. 2Co 3:12 - Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:
8. 2Co 3:13 - And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which IS ABOLISHED:
9. 2Co 3:14 - But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
V. Therefore the sabbath law (the fourth of the ten commandments) (Exo 20:8-11) is abolished, since it is not repeated in the NT.
VI. Christians are specifically told that the sabbath days were part of the law of Moses which was taken away and nailed to the cross, and that we are to let no man judge us in respect of it.
1. Col 2:14 - Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
2. Col 2:15 - And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
3. Col 2:16 - Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
4. Col 2:17 - Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
VII. The Sabbath day was one of God's sabbaths (sabbath days) (Exo 31:13-17) which has been taken away.
VIII. So since the Sabbath commandment is abolished, on what day of the week should a NT Church worship God?
IX. Since God has not commanded what day of the week His churches should worship Him, we could do it on any day as the NT church in Jerusalem did.
1. Act 2:42 - And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
2. Act 2:46 - And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
3. Act 2:47 - Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
X. But since we have examples of NT churches, both Jewish and Gentile, assembling for worship on the first day of the week (Sunday), then it's a safe bet to follow that example.
1. Joh 20:19 - Then the same day at evening, being THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK, when the doors were shut where the disciples were ASSEMBLED for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
2. Heb 10:25 - Not forsaking the ASSEMBLING OF OURSELVES TOGETHER, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
3. Act 20:7 - And upon the FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK, when THE DISCIPLES CAME TOGETHER TO BREAK BREAD, PAUL PREACHED UNTO THEM, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.
|Is Church on Sunday Biblical.PDF||60.0 kB|
|Is Church on Sunday Biblical.doc||36.4 kB|