Check out the other video blogs here: Pastor's Video Blog
To learn more about Sovereign Grace, click here: Sovereign Grace
How to Know if You're One of the Elect
I. When people hear about the doctrine of election for the first time, they often ask how they can know if they're one of the elect.
II. God elected (chose) people out of every nation (Rev 5:9) to save them from their sins and make them His children.
1. Mar 13:20 - And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved: but for the elect's sake, whom he hath chosen, he hath shortened the days.
2. Eph 1:4 - According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
3. Eph 1:5 - Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
4. Rom 9:11 - (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;)
5. Rom 9:12 - It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.
6. Rom 9:13 - As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
III. How to know that you're one of the elect.
1. Belief of the gospel is evidence of election and eternal life.
A. Joh 5:24 - Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
B. 1Jn 5:1 - Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.
2. True belief of the gospel, which proves a man is elect, is demonstrated by a life-changing effect in his life and results in him joining a true church.
A. 1Th 1:1 - Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians...
B. 1Th 1:4 - Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God.
C. 1Th 1:5 - For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.
D. 1Th 1:6 - And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost:
E. 1Th 2:13 - For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.
F. 1Th 2:14 - For ye, brethren, became followers of the churches of God which in Judaea are in Christ Jesus: for ye also have suffered like things of your own countrymen, even as they have of the Jews:
3. Adding to your faith virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, godliness, brotherly kindness, and charity will make you sure of your calling and election.
A. 2Pe 1:5 - And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
B. 2Pe 1:6 - And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
C. 2Pe 1:7 - And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
D. 2Pe 1:8 - For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
E. 2Pe 1:9 - But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
F. 2Pe 1:10 - Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
G. 2Pe 1:11 - For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
IV. Faith, repentance, good works, and assembling with the saints to worship God are all the evidence of election and eternal life, not the cause of them.
|How to Know if You're One of the Elect.doc||34.8 kB|
|How to Know if You're One of the Elect.PDF||41.9 kB|