Check out the other video blogs here: Pastor's Video Blog
For an in depth Bible Study on the topic of Alcohol, see: Alcohol
Alcohol in Moderation is Biblical
I. Wine n. - 1. a. The fermented juice of the grape used as a beverage. It is essentially a dilute solution of alcohol, on the proportion of which in its composition depend its stimulating and intoxicating properties. Wines are classed as red or white, dry or sweet, still or sparkling. 1535 Coverdale Ps. ciii[i]. 15 Wyne to make glad ye herte of man.
II. Wine is a blessing that God has given to men.
1. Jdg 9:13 - And the vine said unto them, Should I leave my wine, which cheereth God and man, and go to be promoted over the trees?
2. Psa 104:15 - And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man's heart.
3. Ecc 9:7 - Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works.
III. Jesus Christ Himself drank wine.
1. Luk 7:33 - For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.
2. Luk 7:34 - The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!
3. Winebibber - 1. A tippler, a drunkard.
IV. Paul told Timothy to drink a little wine instead of water.
1. 1Ti 5:23 - Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.
V. Under the law of Moses, the Israelites could turn their tithe into wine or strong drink and enjoy it as a means of worshipping God when it was too far for them to carry their tithes to Jerusalem.
1. Deu 14:24 - And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:
2. Deu 14:25 - Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:
3. Deu 14:26 - And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
VI. Only specific people at specific times are prohibited from drinking alcohol, which proves that most people at most times may consume it in moderation.
1. A man under the vow of a Nazarite could not drink wine or strong drink while under the vow.
A. Num 6:2 - Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate themselves to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate themselves unto the LORD:
B. Num 6:3 - He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.
C. Num 6:20 - And the priest shall wave them for a wave offering before the LORD: this is holy for the priest, with the wave breast and heave shoulder: and after that the Nazarite may drink wine.
2. The priests in the OT could not drink wine nor strong drink when they went into the tabernacle and entered into the inner court of the temple.
A. Lev 10:9 - Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations:
B. Eze 44:21 - Neither shall any priest drink wine, when they enter into the inner court.
3. Pastors cannot be given to wine.
A. 1Ti 3:3 - Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
B. Given ppl. - 1. a. Bestowed as a gift. 2. Used predicatively: Inclined, disposed, addicted, prone.
4. These specific prohibitions on alcohol consumption don't nullify the rule that alcohol can be used in moderation, they rather establish the rule.
VII. The Bible DOES condemn the excessive consumption of alcohol which causes drunkenness.
1. Eph 5:18 - And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
2. Gal 5:21 - Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
3. Drunkenness n. - The state of being drunk; intoxication; the habit of being drunken or addicted to excessive drinking.
4. The prohibition of drunkenness itself shows that it is the excessive drinking of alcohol which is forbidden by God, not the drinking alcohol in itself.
VIII. Don't be deceived by alcohol, and be aware of the danger of it's overuse.
1. Pro 20:1 - Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
IX. But on the other hand, don't be a Pharisee who makes up unbiblical laws and traditions which make the word of God of none effect.
1. Mar 7:9 - And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
2. Mar 7:13 - Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.
|Alcohol in Moderation is Biblical.doc||34.8 kB|
|Alcohol in Moderation is Biblical.PDF||54.5 kB|